Thursday, January 20, 2011

Rihanna featuring Nicki Minaj...Raining Men



I just wanted to share this song, as it is my new favorite favorite song of the moment. Thank you to Olivia for burning me the Rihanna c.d. "Loud", because it has been playing in my car nonstop. I can only imagine that this song will help boost my energy during my runs. Now, I just have to figure out a downloading program other than Limewire so I can have updated music. I'm so behind the timessss ahhh. Anyway ladies, love this song. Because it really is raining men.

Speaking of Rihanna. Let's discuss bodies, shall we?

After my fourth email from Runners World in about 6 hours, it came up with something interesting to share....specifically, how to lose weight without sacrificing performance or being perpetually hungry. Let's start with some numbers:

1) You need to know how many calories your body needs at rest. The Harris Benedict Equation allows you to get an estimate of your resting calorie needs or basal metabolic rate:

Women: 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) – (4.7 x age in years) = BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) .... (I figured mine out to be 1385)

Men:
666 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) – (6.8 x age in years) = BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)

Then, add in your activity factor:
BMR x 1.55 if you exercise 3-5 days a week.
BMR x 1.75 if you exercise 6-7 days a week.
Now you know how many calories you need to maintain your weight.

(Again, even though I've been exercising 6 times a week, I'm going to err on the side of caution and discovered that I should be eating about 2146 calories a day to maintain my weight).

2) Keep a food record. It is really important to write down when you eat and drink, what you eat and drink, and how much you eat and drink. And if you really want to be accurate, use an online program like the one here to calculate how many calories you consume.

Now you know both how much you need to eat to keep your weight steady and how many calories you are currently eating. If you cut calories by 250 to 300 per day you will likely see a weight loss of about half a pound per week (500 a day if you want to lose a lb. a week. But remember, factor in your calories burned...but don't trust the machines!). While that's a small amount, you won't be as hungry and will be less likely to abandon the plan. (I should be eating around 1600-1800 calories a day to lose weight while exercising. I must be overeating like woah.)

Here is how to organize your plate if you are trying to decrease body fat:

A little more than two-thirds of the plate should be lean protein (poultry, fish, veggie burgers, soy, low-fat dairy, or eggs) and fruits and vegetables and less than one-third of the plate should be grains or higher-carb vegetables, like pasta, rice, bread, cereal, potatoes or corn. Don't omit fat, just use a little to enhance flavor. Olive oil, nuts, or a thin spread of nut butter are all good choices. You can also cut calories by avoiding sugary drinks and snacks, and minimize portion size by using small bowls, plates, and glasses.

Sounds easy...lets see if it works! I started the day with my omelet combo job and my tea, but then came to work and had a chocolate. Fail! But only if I don't get my butt in gear later. If I do, I have a little more wiggle room. Ain't that a monkey's uncle!

This evening's plan includes a 4-5 mile run around Southie, and then hitting up South Boston Yoga with Megan. I want to check out the scene there because even though Golds offers Yoga, South Boston Yoga offers a...Yoga for Runners class on Sundays! Although I'm not a big fan of yoga, I think the once a week stretchfest might do me some good. Boxing shall continue before then, but I might go to a class on Sunday, or tomorrow. Everyday is an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...